Re: Plan for straightening out the include-file mess

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Plan for straightening out the include-file mess
Date: 2001-02-09 00:10:50
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
> This is only part of a larger problem, namely that over time it gets more
> likely that some public header file will depend on config.h.  For example,
> the libpq++ one's already do.  The SSL support in libpq currently requires
> the user to define USE_SSL themselves.  int8 support in ecpg also requires
> configuration information.

Yes, I had noticed that but didn't have a solution, so I was just
leaving the issue at status quo for now.  As you say, pulling config.h
into client-visible headers is a big pollution of their namespace,
so we need to avoid it if possible.

As far as the Oid typedef goes, it'd be possible to have configure
generate postgres_ext.h from postgres_ext.h.in and insert the proper
typedef, so that there's no added namespace pollution there.  This
answer does not scale real well, but it might be enough for Oid and
int8 support.