Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>
Subject: Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation
Date: 2008-11-25 13:23:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> I'm in favour of including it by default (at initdb), so it's there
> for new users to play with on any fresh install - however, there is
> only a point to that if all the documentation examples are based on
> that database to allow copy-paste-play.

You would also have to assume that all the examples are non-destructive,
and that no one ever extends an example in a destructive way.  This
seems like a non-starter.  Better to provide the sample database in a
form in which it can be easily dropped/reloaded.  I'm envisioning that
there's a source file in $sharedir and we tell people

	createdb example
	psql -f $sharedir/example.sql example