Re: Minor bug: Odd feedback on STDERR from PSQL for block comments

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Minor bug: Odd feedback on STDERR from PSQL for block comments
Date: 2003-11-08 21:21:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> Here's a non-showstopper in 7.4RC1, but probably good to fix before RC2:
> 1) Create a file with *only* a block comment in it, or with a block comment as
> the very last line.
> 2) run psql -f filename database
> You will get some odd feedback on STDERR:

I can confirm the problem.  It happens in more cases than Josh mentions,
as well:
	-- running the file with \i also shows the problem
	-- there can be blank lines and whitespace after the
	   block comment, and it still shows up.

Example: z.sql contains

--- snip ---
select 2+2;
/* block */

    -- z
--- snip ---

regression=# \i z.sql
 ?column?
        4
(1 row)

psql:z.sql:5: regression=#

Peter, do you have time to look at this?  You're probably more familiar
than I am with the psql command loop.