Re: Typed hstore proposal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson" <johann(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Typed hstore proposal
Date: 2011-12-22 15:44:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson" <johann(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> I mean to create a typed hstore, called tstore for now.

Um ... what is the point of this, exactly?  From what I've seen, most
applications for hstore are pretty happy with the fact that hstore is
only weakly typed, and if an entry *is* an integer, or a float, or
whatever else, it's not hard to cast to and from text as needed.
So this idea looks like a solution in search of a problem, which is
going to need a whole lot more work before it even gets to the point of
being as useful as hstore.  It's not for instance apparent what is the
use of iterating over only entries that were supplied as integers ---
there is no reason to think that they're related just because of that.