Re: [HACKERS] Re: NOT {NULL|DEFERRABLE} (was: bug in 7.0)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: NOT {NULL|DEFERRABLE} (was: bug in 7.0)
Date: 2000-02-29 18:14:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com> writes:
> An alternative might be to remove the following sentence from the
> release notes:
> "Don't be concerned this is a dot-zero release. PostgreSQL does its
> best to put out only solid releases, and this one is no exception."

Uh, Don, that's wording that we expect will apply to the 7.0 *release*.
We did not claim that the beta version has no known bugs.

> [ much ranting snipped ]

Thomas made an engineering judgment that supporting beta-testing of all
the new foreign key features was more important than having a first beta
release with no regression in the parser. You can argue that he made
the wrong choice (I'm not sure if he did or not), but I don't think
jumping on him like this is appropriate.