Re: DB responce during DB dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Evgeny Gridasov <eugrid(at)fpm(dot)kubsu(dot)ru>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB responce during DB dump
Date: 2006-01-25 16:21:58
Lists: pgsql-performance
Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> Evgeny Gridasov wrote:
>> I've written a perl script to limit pg_dump output bandwidth,
>> Is there any other solution to avoid this problem?

> That's an interesting solution, and I'd guess people might like to see
> it posted to the list if it's not too big.

Years ago there was some experimentation with dump-rate throttling logic
inside pg_dump itself --- there's still a comment about it in pg_dump.c.
The experiment didn't seem very successful, which is why it never got to
be a permanent feature.  I'm curious to know why this perl script is
doing a better job than we were able to do inside pg_dump.