Re: PostgreSQL 8.2beta1 w/ VALUES

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.2beta1 w/ VALUES
Date: 2006-09-30 17:48:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> When loading a rather large data set I started getting errors along
> these lines:
> psql:/home/sfrost/school/cs750/reality/dump-anonymized.postgres.sql:262:
> WARNING: nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
> LINE 1: ...XXXXXXXXXX 9999,9:9:999'),(99999,'000000000000',0,'XXXXX XXX...
> ^
> HINT: Use the escape string syntax for escapes, e.g., E'\r\n'.

> Which, by themselves, aren't really an issue *except* for the fact
> that I got an *insane* number of them. I don't think it was quite one
> for every row (of which there were 20,795, you'll note) but it was
> more than enough to drive me insane. Additionally, cancel requests
> were ignored.

That's not too surprising because I don't believe there are any
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS calls in the basic lex/parse loop. That wouldn't
normally be a problem because that phase is pretty quick, but it is a
problem if the system is spitting tons of messages at you.

It seems like a reasonable thing to do would be to add a
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS in elog.c just after sending a notice/warning
message to the client.

Comments?