Re: Please HELP - URGENT - transaction wraparound error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Sidney-Woollett <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please HELP - URGENT - transaction wraparound error
Date: 2005-10-30 19:17:54
Lists: pgsql-general
John Sidney-Woollett <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com> writes:
> Just out of curiousity would the wraparound error (for mail_lxtreme)
> actually have affected data in bp_live?
> Could I just have deleted mail_lxtreme and then continued to use bp_live
> as though nothing had happened?

No, and yes, which is why panicking was not warranted ;-)

Martijn's advice to be using "vacuumdb -a" every so often is well given,
though.

You could also consider switching over to autovacuum, particularly as of
8.1.  (I'm not sure how much I trust the contrib version that exists in
8.0, and 7.4's is definitely pretty buggy, but I believe 8.1's can be
relied on to prevent this sort of thing.)