Re: refusing connections based on load ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: refusing connections based on load ...
Date: 2001-04-25 19:25:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The idea behind the load average based approach is
> to make the postmaster respect the situation of the overall system.

That'd be great if we could do it, but as I pointed out, the available
stats do not allow us to do it very well.

I think this will create a lot of portability headaches for no real
gain. If it were something we could just do and forget, I would not
object --- but the porting issues will create a LOT more work than
I think this can possibly be worth. The fact that the work is
distributed and will mostly be incurred by people other than the ones
advocating the change doesn't improve matters.