Re: Web team help for beta release

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Web team help for beta release
Date: 2010-05-02 18:22:24
Lists: pgsql-www
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>>> The phrase "read-only replication" reads oddly to me. Isn't the
>>> normal term "single master"?
>>
>> I've been using the phrase "binary replication" which is what's really new.

> As opposed to what? ASCII replication?

It's not the replication that's read-only, it's the queries executed on
the slaves.  I haven't read the proposed docs but it sounds like this
is confusing two features that would be better explained separately,
viz

* built-in simple replication

* ability to execute read-only queries on a replication slave server

(in this context, "simple" really means "all or nothing", as compared
to stuff like Slony that can replicate subsets of a database)