Re: [BUGS] 8.0: Absolute path required for INITDB?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] 8.0: Absolute path required for INITDB?
Date: 2004-08-16 16:21:32
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-patches
> Rather I would ask why we changed the
> description-loading routine in version 1.7 of initdb.c to use a copy
> from file instead of what happens everywhere else where initdb loads the
> file and feeds it to the postgres stdin?

That was to avoid a Windows-only newline problem.  Don't complain too
hard.

You are in any case missing the point: -L is a useless switch and there
is no reason to make it easy to use.  (I don't think I have ever once
had occasion to use it in all the years I've worked on Postgres, and I
have certainly run initdb in orders-of-magnitude more contexts than any
ordinary user would.)  If I have to waste any more time on this
discussion, I will propose solving the problem by removing the switch
entirely.