Re: [INTERFACES] New asynchronous tcl postgresql interface

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: colin(at)field(dot)medicine(dot)adelaide(dot)edu(dot)au
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] New asynchronous tcl postgresql interface
Date: 1999-07-23 14:05:36
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Colin McCormack <colin(at)field(dot)medicine(dot)adelaide(dot)edu(dot)au> writes:
> I think this is possibly a better alternative to the shipped tcl interface.

> A quick/experimental Swig-generated hack
> with itcl wrapper classes to permit:
> - asynchronous execution of postgresql commands,
> - cancellation of commands in progress.

Cool. The existing libpgtcl is certainly lacking in those areas
(although it does have pretty good asynchronous-NOTIFY support,
which I hope you borrowed).

Are you planning to bring this code & doc up to the level at which
it could become part of the standard distribution?

Since your code requires itcl and the existing library doesn't,
I foresee that not everyone will want to switch. It might be good
to choose a name that will make it clear that this code needs itcl
(I'm thinking libpgitcl, perhaps) so that people will easily see
which is which.

regards, tom lane