Re: Dump comments on large objects in text mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>,Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dump comments on large objects in text mode
Date: 2005-06-30 04:05:20
Lists: pgsql-patches
Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> we can possibly gain custom format full cluster dumps.

Do we care?  The main rationale for inventing a custom format, as I
recall it, was (a) plain text couldn't hack blobs and (b) you needed
the ability to rearrange the dump order to work around pg_dump's lack
of understanding of dependencies.  (a) is a dead letter now and (b)
is much less compelling than it once was.

The custom format is still interesting in that it provides the option
to do selective reload --- but if that's what you want, dumping a
database at a time doesn't seem like a terrible restriction.