Re: error while starting database

From: Douglas Toltzman <doug(at)oakstreetsoftware(dot)com>
To: "Nitin Saxena" <nitinmca05(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error while starting database
Date: 2007-08-18 17:01:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

All I can tell you, based on this information, Nitin, is that your
postmaster is not started, and it is failing to start for some
reason. Without any additional information, there is absolutely
nothing I can tell you. Try listing the /var/lib/pgsql/data folder.
Verify that it does exist and that it does contain the postgres
configuration files, at least.

I don't have time to teach you everything you need to know to
administer a Un*x system or to be a DBA. If you were encountering a
specific error, I'm sure someone could help you isolate it. However,
this is the bugs list, as I pointed out before, it is not the correct
list for determining how to configure your server. Once you get the
server started, you should be able to dump your database and upgrade
your software.