Re: OpenMP in PostgreSQL-8.4.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Reydan Cankur <reydan(dot)cankur(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OpenMP in PostgreSQL-8.4.0
Date: 2009-11-29 14:52:15
Lists: pgsql-performance
Reydan Cankur <reydan(dot)cankur(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> So I am trying to understand that can anyone rewrite some functions in
> postgresql with OpenMP in order to increase performance.
> does this work?

Not without doing a truly vast amount of infrastructure work first.
Infrastructure work that, by and large, would add cycles and lose
performance.  So by the time you got to the point of being able to
do micro-optimizations like parallelizing individual functions, you'd
have dug a pretty large performance hole that you'd have to climb out
of before showing any net benefit for all this work.

If you search the PG archives for discussions of threading you should
find lots and lots of prior material.