Re: Allowing a connection from other client in the network

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Oliveiros Cristina" <oliveiros(dot)cristina(at)marktest(dot)pt>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allowing a connection from other client in the network
Date: 2007-09-24 15:29:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Oliveiros Cristina" <oliveiros(dot)cristina(at)marktest(dot)pt> writes:
> I need to allow access to the postgres server(windows) from a remote
> machine (10.61.90.231).

> I changed the postgresql.conf to include the line :

> listen_addresses = 'localhost,10.61.90.231' # what IP address(es) to listen on;

This is incorrect. listen_addresses must specify the interface
addresses of your *own* machine, not some other one. Usually if you
want to allow remote connections, you should just set it to '*' and let
the postmaster figure out what the machine's IP address(es) are.

> And I changed the pg_hba.conf file (also on data dir) so now it has a line like this

> host all all 10.61.90.0/24 md5

This part's OK.

You might also have a third problem: if the machine has any sort of
firewall software, the firewall might need to be adjusted to let in
remote connections to port 5432.