Re: Indexes getting corrupted.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruno G(dot) Albuquerque" <balbuquerque(at)dba(dot)com(dot)br>, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexes getting corrupted.
Date: 2005-06-16 12:25:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

> I'm suspicious of a more subtle intermittent error.

Yeah, I am too, but so far none of the reporters have been cooperative
about providing more information :-(

> We have no
> information about what the magic values are, only that they are not
> correct. Should we increase the information returned for that error?

I think the proposed patch is a waste of time. What I am hoping to get
from people is a dump of the whole first page of the corrupted index
(via pg_filedump, or even good ol' od). That might give us some idea of
what we are dealing with --- localized corruption in a basically good
metapage, or wholesale replacement of the page with some other page (and
if so what), or maybe it is a hardware fault after all. You can't draw
those sorts of conclusions from one or two words, but with a whole page
to look at you have a shot at telling the difference.