Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-07-01 18:15:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> OK, that is more accurate, but looking at the schedule:

> 1st November 2008 - final commit fest begins
> 1st January 2009 - beta 1
> 1st March 2009 - 8.4.0 release

> How could we have possibly completed the last commit-fest and gotten
> ready for beta in two months --- that is just not realistic.

We didn't know that at the time, though. We thought the last CF would
take a month plus. And up till November the CFs *were* getting done
in about a month.

In retrospect, the CF idea took some of the edge off the problem of
lots of large patches arriving at the feature freeze deadline, but it
is far from having eliminated the problem.