Re: Analysis Function

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: David Jarvis <thangalin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Analysis Function
Date: 2010-06-13 15:58:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 17:42, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> ... (We presumably want
>> timezone to default to the system timezone setting, but I wonder how
>> we should make that work --- should an empty string be treated as
>> meaning that?)

> Umm. NULL could be made to mean that, or we could provicde two
> different versions - one that takes TZ and one that doesn't.

Using NULL like that seems a bit awkward: for one thing it'd mean the
function couldn't be STRICT, and also it'd be bizarre that only this
one argument could be null without leading to a null result.

And two separate functions isn't good either. Basically, I think it's
important that there be a way to specify an explicit parameter value
that behaves identically to the default.

> And a third, construct_time(), no?

Yeah, maybe ... do you think there's any demand for it?