Re: [HACKERS] plperl and regexps with accented characters - incompatible?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] plperl and regexps with accented characters - incompatible?
Date: 2007-11-14 05:37:26
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> I tried something like that briefly and it failed. The trouble is, I
> think, that since the engine tries a require it fails on the op test
> before it even looks to see if the module is already loaded.

I think we have little choice but to report this as a Perl bug. It
essentially means that a "safe" interpreter cannot decide to preload
modules that it thinks are safe; and to add insult to injury, the
engine is apparently trying to require utf8 in some very low-level,
hidden-behind-the-scenes place, yet using high-level trappable
operations to do that. Maybe those are two different bugs. Either
utf8 is part of the Perl core or it isn't; you can't have it both ways.