Re: And now for an example of a different style of

From: "Steve Simms" <steve(at)deefs(dot)net>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: And now for an example of a different style of
Date: 2004-01-17 14:25:02
Lists: pgsql-www
Josh Berkus said:
> The trick is that a fixed width site needs to be usable at 800x600 resolution,
> since this is the resolution of 40% of the monitors in American businesses,
> the last time anyone did stats on it (2000, I think).

CSS can provide for this with the concept of a max-width attribute (name might
be slightly off).  You can design a variable-width page that will work on
800x600, and have it expand on larger browsers, not to exceed a certain point,
so that you don't end up with paragraphs of text on a single line at
1600x1200.

The caveat is that I'm not sure how well browsers support this.  I know that
some do, and some don't, as always.  Depending on the distribution of support,
this might be enough to satisfy those that want fixed-width and those that
want variable-width.

Steve Simms
Database Developer & Administrator
Medical Media Systems, Inc.