Re: CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION
Date: 2001-09-22 15:37:17
Lists: pgsql-patches

> ... I see no reason to add this capability
> if it requires adding a new toplevel keyword.

That kind of annoys me too, but since the keyword can be made a TokenId,
it won't create any conflicts. I think the argument of Oracle
compatibility is probably a sufficient reason to do it with this syntax.

> You could hack ALTER FUNCTION to create automatically if it
> doesn't exist,

That's considerably uglier than this alternative, wouldn't you say?
We have no other ALTER commands that work that way.