Re: psql possible TODO

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql possible TODO
Date: 2006-12-05 22:30:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> control-R isn't real useful for 17 queries that are exactly the same
> except for 3 different join clauses. It also isn't useful when you don't
> know exactly what query you are looking for.

... but, somehow, you know exactly what command number it has?
The above seems completely unimpressive as arguments for adding
command-number-based recall.

>> What we have is just like bash --- at least the parts of it that I use.
> Yes, and I am trying to add more functionality that is like bash :)

It's like a part of bash that's been obsolete since readline was
written, and probably would never have existed at all if readline had
appeared first. I can't really picture a situation in which this is an
improvement over the readline facilities.