Re: Possible bug?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Ilir Gashi <I(dot)Gashi(at)city(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible bug?
Date: 2004-07-02 14:27:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Am Donnerstag, 1. Juli 2004 23:10 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> Right. The reason PG doesn't error is that we have an implicit cast
>> from integer to text. I've opined before that we should mark most
>> cross-type-category casts as explicit-only ... they are just too prone
>> to give unexpected answers, as in this case.

> It seems we're just opining in circles. Why not do it? Is anyone objecting?

IIRC there were objections the last time it was seriously proposed,
basically of the form "but that will break my application which relies
on writing so-and-so without a cast". We did get as far as removing all
the implicit cross-category coercions except these casts to text:

bigint | text
smallint | text
integer | text
real | text
double precision | text
numeric | text
oid | text
date | text
time without time zone | text
time with time zone | text
timestamp without time zone | text
timestamp with time zone | text
interval | text

but these seem to have a constituency :-(