Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3
Date: 2008-04-02 20:53:09
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
> ... These users would like to have sha1
> (and/or other securer hashes). And they would like it in -core, because
> their hosting company don't install the contrib modules.

That line of argument could be used to justify putting anything and
everything in core.  I think that our extensible architecture is an
important feature and one we should not hesitate to use to the fullest.

There is clearly work that could/should be done to improve it, such
as having better system support for packages or modules or whatever
you want to call them; and maybe we also need some marketing-type
work to encourage people such as hosting companies to allow access
to non-core packages.  But allowing arguments such as the above to
drive our design is not the way to go.