Re: CREATE ROLE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Russell Denney <r_denney(at)verizon(dot)net>
Cc: postgres <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE ROLE
Date: 2006-12-20 00:34:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

Russell Denney <r_denney(at)verizon(dot)net> writes:
> Logged in as postgres, I created a role as Superuser. psql returned
> CREATE ROLE.
> When I enter \du it lists the new role, however, createdb and
> createrole are listed as "no". I thought superusers bypassed all
> permissions?

Those flags are stored independently, but the bottom line is that a
superuser has all permissions anyway. In other words, if it says either
superuser or createdb, you can create a database, etc.

> When I \q, psql returns "could not save history to file "/Users/
> postgres/.psql_history": Invalid argument".

This is fixed in 8.2, but in 8.1 you can just ignore it --- it's a
Mac-specific discrepancy in what a library function returns :-(