Re: alpha2 initdb PG_CONTROL_VERSION incompatibility?

From: Lou Picciano <loupicciano(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-testers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Subject: Re: alpha2 initdb PG_CONTROL_VERSION incompatibility?
Date: 2009-11-04 02:49:50
Lists: pgsql-testers
Josh, Greg,

Thanks for your inputs. Yes, it makes perfect sense that we should have to re-initdb between versions - perfectly reasonable.
But, to be clear, this wasn't what set this snowball in motion...

Your responses piqued my interest... Remember, the core concern was that the 8.5alpha2 pg_ctrl reported that our 8.5alpha1-initdb'd cluster had in fact been initdb'd by 8.4! This got us concerned - as your diagnostic algorithm has suggested - that we had mistakenly built the cluster with the v8.4 initdb binary - and that all our testing thus far might have been against incorrect catalog structure, for example!

So, the scientific process; I repeated the experiment:

Built a new-from-scratch cluster, and initdb'd it with 8.5alpha1
in postgresql.conf, we edited only two parameters:
listen_addresses = '*' and port = 5433 (we use this port for testing)

Then, tried to start the alpha1 cluster with the alpha2 binary:

FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL: The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 843, but the server was compiled with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 851.

Again, only concern here is that the error message is misleading, and might set into motion quite a bit of redundant administrative work. Is it just that the PG_CONTROL_VERSIONs don't follow the binary numbering, and this point I simply haven't run into before?

Lou Picciano

PS - (Are you both speaking here - 'we' - as authors of PostgreSQL?)