Re: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lhornbeck(at)oppunl(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
Date: 2006-10-12 17:42:53
Lists: pgsql-novice
"Laura Hornbeck" <lhornbeck(at)oppunl(dot)com> writes:
> I am getting "FATAL:  the database system is in recovery mode" when trying
> to reconnect after a crash.  This has been happening for about an 1 hour
> now.  Is this something I need to wait out or can I safely kill postgres and
> restart?

Hmmm ... unless you had extremely high settings for both checkpoint_segments
and checkpoint_timeout, it shouldn't take an hour to recover from a
crash.  Does it appear that the startup subprocess is making progress at
all?  (Use "ps" to find the postmaster's startup process child, then see
if it's doing anything using "strace" or some such.)