Re: Interface for pg_autovacuum

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jim Nasby" <jim(dot)nasby(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Interface for pg_autovacuum
Date: 2006-12-21 05:38:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Jim Nasby" <jim(dot)nasby(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On the other hand, this would be the only part of the system where
> the official interface/API is a system catalog table.

I don't think it was ever intended by anyone that that would be the
long-term solution.  Where we are currently at is experimenting to find
out what autovacuum's control knobs ought to be.  The catalog table was
a suitably low-effort way to expose a first cut at the knobs.  The fact
that pg_dump doesn't dump the settings is entirely deliberate: that's to
avoid locking us into a forward compatibility commitment before we're
ready.  Once we are happy with the control design, we can think about
what the long-term API ought to be.