Re: Two copies of every mail!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: "Rodolfo J(dot) Paiz" <rpaiz(at)simpaticus(dot)com>,pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two copies of every mail!
Date: 2005-01-27 05:34:30
Lists: pgsql-novice
Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to> writes:
> Another option, if you don't think you will want anyone replying directly
> to you, is to set up a rule(s) in your mail client to change your from address
> when sending mail to one of the postgres lists to match the list address.

In my not-so-humble opinion, doing that would be grounds for ejection
from the lists.  The reason why it's not a friendly thing to do is that
there are still some broken MTAs out there that send bounces back to the
From: address instead of the correct-per-RFC envelope sender address.
It's annoying enough when you get one of those bounces (invariably from
someplace you never heard of) ... but imagine what happens if the bounce
goes to the list.

Now, if you want to make your From: be a phony address on your own
machine and direct that traffic to /dev/null, that's your own business.
But keep in mind that you'd be blackholing any off-list replies too ...