Re: Checkpoint cost, looks like it is WAL/CRC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checkpoint cost, looks like it is WAL/CRC
Date: 2005-06-30 03:23:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Uh, what exactly did you cut out? I suggested dropping the dumping of
>> full page images, but not removing CRCs altogether ...

> Attached is the patch I used.

OK, thanks for the clarification. So it does seem that dumping full
page images is a pretty big hit these days. (In defense of the original
idea, I believe it was not such a hit at the time --- but as we continue
to improve performance, things that weren't originally at the top of the
profile become significant.)

It seems like we have two basic alternatives:

1. Offer a GUC to turn off full-page-image dumping, which you'd use only
if you really trust your hardware :-(

2. Think of a better defense against partial-page writes.

I like #2, or would if I could think of a better defense. Ideas anyone?