Re: psql 9.1 alpha5: connection pointer is NULL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers ML <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql 9.1 alpha5: connection pointer is NULL
Date: 2011-04-02 22:10:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I couldn't reproduce this (using upstream source on Ubuntu). However,
> I did find a little bug in libpq causing the connection handle to
> become NULL in the event of an option parsing error. This bug has
> been around since release 9.0.0, and may be unrelated to the problem.

Yeah, that's clearly a bug --- fix committed, thanks for the patch!

It could explain Devrim's report if the parameters passed by psql had
some problem that was detectable by conninfo_array_parse(). That seems
a bit unlikely, but I did think of one possibility: if Devrim was
testing 9.1 psql with a 9.0 libpq (perhaps due to an rpath issue)
then 9.0 libpq would spit up on client_encoding, which wasn't a legal
connection parameter in 9.0.