Re: [SQL] Duplicate tuples with unique index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se>
Cc: Patrik Kudo <kudo(at)partitur(dot)se>, "pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] Duplicate tuples with unique index
Date: 2000-01-25 16:26:12
Lists: pgsql-sql
Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se> writes:
> Unfotunately, it doesn't quite work:

> pp=> vacuum analyze;
> NOTICE:  Rel pg_statistic: TID 1/93: OID IS INVALID. TUPGONE 0.
> VACUUM
> pp=> delete from pg_statistic;
> ERROR:  heap_delete: (am)invalid tid

Ugh.  Yup, your pg_statistic table is corrupted all right.

What you may have to do is pg_dump that database, destroydb/createdb,
and reload.

I have a possible shortcut for you, but I *strongly* suggest that you
pg_dump first in case it doesn't work!  After making your backup dump,
stop the postmaster and truncate the broken database's pg_statistic
file to zero length:
	cp /dev/null .../data/base/yourdb/pg_statistic
Then restart the postmaster and see if you can vacuum analyze the
broken database.  If so, you are good to go; if not, it's time to
reload that database.