Re: [HACKERS] Last call?

From: Frank Ridderbusch <ridderbusch(dot)pad(at)sni(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Last call?
Date: 1998-10-29 21:41:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:
> Frank Ridderbusch <ridderbusch(dot)pad(at)sni(dot)de> writes:
> > You might be tempted to run configure with the additional argument
>
> This cpp mistake may also be the root of the apparent need to have gcc
> installed --- please check and see if that's still true.

Once beta4 is ready I will definitely rebuild.

> > After that the following changes are necessary (the changes are
> > explicitly listed, since the changes might not be compatible with
> > other SVR4 platforms, which use the same files):
>
> I think all of these config changes could be handled with a special
> Makefile.port for Siemens ... is that worth adding?

Well I'd say, this short before your expected release date, I wouldn't
want to shake things up by adding another special Makefile.port with
the possible iterations to get it right. And although I would like it
to be otherwise, Siemens RM system have only a great market share in
Germany. I think, if Pyramid Nile users and, I think NEC has/had a MIPS
based SVR4, would speak up, then you should add a special MIPS based
Makefile.port

> > o configure does not correctly reqognize the number of arguments
> > for gettimeofday. Therefore 'undef' HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY_2_ARGS.
>
> This should be fixed; can you look into it and see why configure
> is getting the wrong answer? Look at configure.in --- there is a
> small test program that the script tries to compile, and if there
> is no compile error then it assumes gettimeofday has two args.
> A first guess is that gettimeofday is not declared in sys/time.h
> on your machine. If we add wherever it is declared then perhaps
> the test will work.

As I say, my system is pretty old (still R3000) and ths os is just as
old. And indeed the missing prototype in sys/time.h is the
cause. Later OS version have it defined. Therefore I really see no
need for changes here.

> > o In src/backend/port/Makefile remove the 'strcasecmp.o'.
>
> Likewise, this should be fixable by improving configure's test
> to see whether the system has strcasecmp.
>
> regards, tom lane

Well, this problem is originally caused by the need to link against
/usr/ucblib/libucb.a. Without libucb.a, I'm getting three undefined
symbols

strncasecmp commands/SUBSYS.o
alloca bootstrap/SUBSYS.o
strcasecmp commands/SUBSYS.o

alloca is ok (GCC users have it build in). But strncasecmp and
strcasecmp are defined in the same archive member in
libucb.a. Therefore I get multiple defines if I link with strcasecmp.o
from pgsql.

Come to think of it, shouldn't configure check also for strncasecmp if
it checks for strcasecmp? But apparently, since no one complains, it
appears, that all other platforms do have strncasecmp and shouldn't
also need strcasecmp.

I general, I would say, leave the configure process as it is, once
beta4 is available. I'm quite happy as it stand, with all the
shortcommings of my dated hard- and software.

Regards,

Frank