Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "Liraz Siri" <liraz(at)turnkeylinux(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Chander Ganesan" <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]
Date: 2008-12-09 14:12:12
Lists: pgsql-www

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Pardon me, but: what the hell? Since when is this page meant to
>> advertise third-party distributions of Postgres, which the community
>> has no control over and hasn't even quality-checked?

> We have done so for years. The origin of each third party distro is
> clearly marked.

Well, I'm still desperately unhappy with the concept that all it takes
to get listed on that page is a request from someone who's not even
known in the community. At the *minimum* we should have some kind of
commitment to push updates promptly (especially security ones) ...
which probably means someone from that group joining pgsql-packagers.

But what might be more to the point is that AFAICT Turnkey is a Linux
distro. We don't have links here to where you get Postgres packages for
Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware, etc etc. Why should there be
one for Turnkey?