Re: Limiting records in pg_dump

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Sandra Arnold <ArnoldS(at)osti(dot)gov>
Cc: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limiting records in pg_dump
Date: 2009-07-31 20:18:23
Lists: pgsql-general

----- "Sandra Arnold" <ArnoldS(at)osti(dot)gov> wrote:

> Thanks for that suggestion. Since I have a schema on the database, I
> could create the view on my schema or even a table with the same name
> with just the records that I want to copy to the other database. I
> had thought about the table but not necessary the view.
>
> We are just in the process of looking at PostgreSQL as a solution to
> replace Oracle. Those high Maintenance and Support cost have made it
> necessary to find a replacement for Oracle.

How about the COPY command:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/sql-copy.html

Be sure and read to the bottom where it explains that this is a server command and needs to be run on the server and as the Postgres user.

An alternative is \copy run from psql, documentation here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/app-psql.html

It runs locally and as the local user.

Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net