Re: pg_dump data in BKI format

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump data in BKI format
Date: 2006-09-25 19:49:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> I'm playing with catalog upgrade via BKI format. I enhanced the pg_dump
> of BKI output (not patch ready yet). I'm using it for some test now, but
> I think It should be useful for some one other, for example some
> application with embedded postgres should use own prepared BKI for
> database init (with small enhancement in bootstrap mode) and this option
> should help to prepare a BKI script from application template database.

This seems utterly useless :-(

The BKI file format was never designed to be general purpose --- as an
example, I do not believe it can cope with quotes or newlines embedded
in data values. So as a target for pg_dump it's quite unsatisfactory.

Nor do I see a particularly good reason why add-ons would need to get
into the catalogs at the bootstrap stage, rather than using more
conventional, much easier-to-use SQL commands to add objects later
during initdb. So "let's improve BKI" sounds like an exercise in
time-wasting, also.