Re: PostgreSQL infographics

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL infographics
Date: 2012-07-19 14:23:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Jul 19, 2012, at 4:12 AM, damien clochard wrote:

> Hi pgsql-advocacy,
>
> Imho the Document Foundation is doing a pretty good PR job. In
> particular, they're providing some simple yet very informative
> infographics. Here's their last update :
>
> http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2012/07/17/libreoffice-infographics/
>
> While this kind of numbers may not interest everyone, it shows very
> clearly the dynamic and the growth of a project. And in our case, the
> vitality and liveliness of the PostgreSQL Community is a great strength
> that we need to advertise more.
>
> I'm interested help building such infographics for the PostgreSQL
> project but I believe this should be a collective work, with a long term
> perspective. The numbers are not that hard to gather (pages hits on the
> website ? , mail traffic on pgsql-hackers ? git stats ?) and we can find
> even more stats from services like ohloh
> (http://www.ohloh.net/p/postgres)... But I think the hard part will
> keeping the numbers up-to-date and release a new version on a regular
> basis (maybe once every semester ?)
>
> Is anyone else interested by creating this infographic ?

I am interested, but I would want to augment the dataset that we are showing. While I think it is interesting seeing the history of PostgreSQL development shown visually, I think would also be beneficial if we could show statistics that indicate adoption and usage as well. Number of downloads over time would be a good place to start, but trying to determine what percentage of the RDBMS market or the total database market would be great at helping us indicate how much more PostgreSQL is being adopted. Even an estimate of how much data is being stored in Postgres globally would be insightful.

I know it is difficult to collect that data but I think it could significantly help advocacy efforts by easily displaying adoption statistics.

Jonathan