Re: integration of pgcluster into postgresql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Chahine Hamila <chahine(dot)hamila(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: integration of pgcluster into postgresql
Date: 2006-08-27 16:47:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> My take on all this is that there's no one-size-fits-all replication
>> solution, and therefore the right approach is to have multiple active
>> subprojects.

> Anybody knowing a little about the world of replication needs will
> agree with you here. Unfortunately, AFAICS pgcluster can't be added as
> module as e.g. Slony-I, since it's rather a not-so-small patch to the
> pgsql sources. So I wonder if it's possible to provide some
> not-too-intrusive hooks in core pgsql, enabling pgcluster to do most of
> the work in modules, to have the best of both worlds: core with as few
> modifications as possible, and modules extending the operation,
> profiting from backend development immediately.

I don't have any objection in principle to adding hooks that're needed
by replication projects. But again, I don't want the core project to be
seen as favoring some replication projects over others. So I'd want to
see some kind of joint proposal by multiple replication projects about
what hooks to add. Anybody out there want to organize such a thing?