Re: Improving backend launch time by preloading relcache

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving backend launch time by preloading relcache
Date: 2002-01-29 15:05:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Probably we don't have to keep the relhasindex info in the
> db any longer and we had better keep some info about REINDEX
> in memory local to the backend.

I never did much care for the "change relhasindex" hack.  Why isn't
IsIgnoringSystemIndexes a sufficient solution?  I don't really care
if REINDEX is a little bit slower than it might be, so just turning
off use of *all* system indexes seems like an adequate answer.

>> Hmm ... what that says is that unlinking pg_internal.init in
>> setRelfilenode is the wrong place.

> Possibly. I couldn't find the appropriate place(way) then
> and so #ifdef's are still there.

Okay.  I'll work on that when I commit the patches I have.