you are lost in a maze of twisting code, all alike

From: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: you are lost in a maze of twisting code, all alike
Date: 1998-07-03 03:23:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
okay..  in order to build my understanding of the postgres code (wow,
this compiles?) I'm going to print some of it out.  This helped me
learn C many years back, by printing out the code to MOO server.  of
course, I could print out *all* of it, which clearly is not possible
with postgres, as there are about 170k lines of code in the backend.
It would still take about 1300 pages with really small type.

So, any suggestions?  I'm interested in learning more about the
planning & execution of queries -- scary stuff.  What should I print
out?  Or should I just scrap that entirely and browse the code with a
decent TAGS editor?  The only problem with that is I have to be at the
computer...

I'm committed to postgresql, but my time is pretty limited.  There are
many things I want to do, and gaining a thourough (hah!) knowledge of
the code will help facilitate that.

--brett