Re: How can I bind query parameters to variables ?

From: Rainer Bauer <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Timothy Madden <terminatorul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: How can I bind query parameters to variables ?
Date: 2009-05-19 16:43:24
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hello Timothy,

TM> Still the problem is I could not use Large Object data type in
TM> ODBC to insert values in my BIT VARYING column. It said the
TM> parameter is of type lo, which I created as in the how-to, but the
TM> columns is BIT VARYING. Using CAST() on the parameter did not
TM> help. :(

I don't think you will ever be happy if you try to use a bit field to
store binary data. Use bytea [1] instead (the 'lo' type has the
disadvantage the the data is not stored inside the table).

Note that the support for BIT VARYING was dropped in SQL:2003 [2].
SQL:2003 has the BLOB datatype to store binary data and SQL:2008 will
have 2 new types: BINARY and BINARY VARYING.

Rainer

[1] <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-binary.html>
[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL2003>