Re: options for RAISE statement

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: options for RAISE statement
Date: 2008-05-05 01:08:17
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> this patch adds possibility to set additional options (SQLSTATE,
> DETAIL, DETAIL_LOG and HINT) for RAISE statement,

I looked this over briefly. A couple of comments:

* Raising errors via hard-coded SQLSTATEs seems pretty unfriendly,
at least for cases where we are reporting built-in errors. Wouldn't
it be better to be able to raise errors using the same SQLSTATE names
that are recognized in EXCEPTION clauses?

* If we are going to let people throw random SQLSTATEs, there had better
be a way to name those same SQLSTATEs in EXCEPTION.

* I don't really like exposing DETAIL_LOG in this. That was a spur of
the moment addition and we might take it out again; I think it's way
premature to set it in stone by exposing it as a plpgsql feature.

* Please avoid using errstart() directly. This is unwarranted intimacy
with elog.h's implementation and I also think it will have unpleasant
behavior if an error occurs while evaluating the RAISE arguments.
(In fact, I think a user could easily force a backend PANIC that way.)
The approved way to deal with ereport options that might not be there
is like this:

ereport(ERROR,
( ...,
have_sqlstate ? errcode(...) : 0,

That is, you should evaluate all the options into local variables
and then do one normal ereport call.

* // comments are against our coding conventions.