some more rambling on the new fe/be communication

From: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: some more rambling on the new fe/be communication
Date: 1998-06-01 16:08:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
it would appear that libpq now has a outgoing data buffer associated
with PGconn struct which only gets sent (with send()!?) when pqFlush
gets called.  the backend still appears to use and pass FILE * for
reading and writing.  I wasn't aware that you can read data from a
FILE * sent with send() over a socket.  Is this portable?  Time to
pull out stevens.

In any case, I don't think this bodes well for my SSL patch -- and I
think I've missed something -- why have we switched to send/recv?  I
assume for the synchronous notification?  I haven't been following
that discussion as much as I possibly could be, so I'll look in the
archives.  Anyway, this is sort of a plea for help -- I'm totally
confused, so if there's just something I'm missing, please let me
know.

Does anyone know what implications the new communication scheme has
for SSL?  I know this isn't a postgresql priority, but it is an
interest of mine.  Is it still possible?  I'll start doing my
homework.

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: Jose' Soares Da SilvaDate: 1998-06-01 17:42:26