Re: Failed install - libgen.so doesn't exist

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: flyvholm(at)fys(dot)ku(dot)dk, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Failed install - libgen.so doesn't exist
Date: 2006-02-01 16:47:15
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-ports
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Now that we have the buildfarm I think that experimentation with this
>> sort of thing is a lot less risky than it used to be.  I think we should
>> be working towards a project policy that AC_CHECK_LIB calls shalt not
>> use "main", but must name some symbol exported by the expected library.
>> If we can't find out what symbols the library is expected to provide,
>> it's time to dike it out.

> Agreed.  Anyone want to do the legwork?

It's not possible for any one person to do the legwork, but if several
people would look to see what the story is on their platforms, we would
have enough info to get started.  We need to know which libraries
actually get sucked in and some plausible exported names to test for
each one.

I'll report on HPUX, Linux, and OSX later today, if no one beats me to
it.