Disable-spinlocks while compiling postgres 9.1 for ARM Cortex A8

From: Jayashankar K B <Jayashankar(dot)KB(at)lnties(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Disable-spinlocks while compiling postgres 9.1 for ARM Cortex A8
Date: 2012-02-23 20:14:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Hi All,

I am trying to compile Postgres Source code for ARM cortex A8 architecture.
While compiling, I got an error message which read "selected processor does not support `swpb r4,r4,[r3]' "
One of the Postgres forums at the location "http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/BUG-6331-Cross-compile-error-aborts-Works-if-disable-spinlock-is-used-td5068738.html"
Mentioned that by using -disable-spinlocks, we can overcome the error at the cost of performance. I did the same and it compiled successfully.
But the INSTALL guide in Postgres source code mentioned that I should inform the Postgres community in case I am forced to use -disable spinlocks to let the code compile.
Hence this email. So please suggest me what I should do now. What sort of performance penalty will be there if I use this option? What actually is the significance of this parameter?
Please guide me.

This is the configure command I used
./configure CC=/opt/toolchain/bin/armv7l-timesys-linux-gnueabi-gcc --target=armv7l-timesys-linux-gnueabi --prefix=/home/jayashankar/WorkingDirectory/Postgres9.1_Cortex --host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu CFLAGS='-march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mthumb' --disable-spinlocks

Thanks and Regards
Jayashankar

Larsen & Toubro Limited

www.larsentoubro.com

This Email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient (s) If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or disseminate the information, notify the sender and delete it from your system.