Re: Bug(?) with cursors using aggregate functions.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug(?) with cursors using aggregate functions.
Date: 2003-04-29 03:51:51
Lists: pgsql-general
Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com> writes:
> I've been developing a web-based selection browser using cursors and
> discovered a very frustrating little feature as I try to MOVE
> FORWARD/BACKWARD through my selection.

You can't run a nontrivial query plan (anything more than a seqscan or
indexscan) backwards with any reliability.  There are fixes for this in
CVS tip, but not in any released version :-(.  It should also be noted
that the fix consists of saving-aside copies of all rows emitted by the
underlying query, so if you are talking about a large result set you
might not like the performance...