Re: pg_ctl idempotent option

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_ctl idempotent option
Date: 2013-03-06 04:37:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2013-01-14 at 06:37 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Here is a patch to add an option -I/--idempotent to pg_ctl, the result
> of which is that pg_ctl doesn't error on start or stop if the server is
> already running or already stopped.

So apparently, pg_upgrade needs the existing behavior, so making the
idempotent option the only behavior won't work. Therefore, I think this
patch is still useful as originally presented. I've made one change
that pg_ctl won't print any messages if the -I option is used and the
server is already started/stopped.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg-ctl-idempotent-v2.patch text/x-patch 5.9 KB