Re: PL/perl should fail on configure, not make

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PL/perl should fail on configure, not make
Date: 2013-01-09 04:32:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We could try adding an AC_TRY_LINK test using perl_embed_ldflags,
> but given the weird stuff happening to redefine that value on Windows
> in plperl/GNUmakefile I think there's a serious risk of breaking
> Cygwin builds. Since I lack access to either Cygwin or a platform on
> which there's a problem today, I'm not going to be the one to mess
> with it.

For these and similar reasons, I think it's best not to mess with this
too much. It should fail where it actually fails. We shouldn't be
duplicating that logic in a remote place to predict that something will
fail later. In some cases, this is rather safe and easy and useful as a
service to the user, but once it gets slightly complicated, it can only
go wrong.