Re: LEFT JOIN in pg_dumpall is a bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LEFT JOIN in pg_dumpall is a bug
Date: 2001-01-24 18:08:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>> Is there a more robust way of reading the data into the script?

> Provided that 'cut' is portable, then this works for me:

My old copy of Horton's _Portable C Software_ says that cut(1) is a
SysV-ism adopted by POSIX.  At that time (1990) it wasn't portable,
and he recommended using awk or sed instead.

If you think depending on POSIX utilities is OK, then use cut.
I'd recommend sed, though.  The GNU coding standards for Makefiles
suggest not depending on programs outside this set:

     cat cmp cp diff echo egrep expr false grep install-info
     ln ls mkdir mv pwd rm rmdir sed sleep sort tar test touch true